Negotiating a Construction Contract with an Owner
Jun 21, 2023 - 3:00 PM (ET) - Live, Online
Hosted by CFMA
About this Event
Wednesday, June 21, 2023
3-4:30 PM (ET), 12-1:30 PM (PT)
Construction is a risky industry, and properly allocating the risks involved in a construction project is critical to protecting your company from potential liability exposure. Although this risk allocation is one of the main purposes of a construction contract, it is often overlooked. Effective contract negotiation ensures equal opportunity for a contractor to properly manage and mitigate their risk exposure. In this webinar, two attorneys will represent the contractor and owner in negotiating some crucial terms of a construction contract. Attendees will have a chance to learn negotiation strategies and tactics — specifically how to articulate the reasoning behind requesting certain contract changes and strategies to help reach consensus on critical contract terms.
After completing this session, you will be able to:
- Recognize effective strategies to favorably negotiate the critical terms of a construction contract.
- Identify creative solutions to reach consensus on contract terms when the parties appear to be at an impasse.
- Understand different ways to communicate the reasoning for changes to critical contract terms to persuasively advocate for your company’s position.
Level & Prerequisites
This is a group-internet webinar at the Intermediate Level. No prerequisites or advanced preparation is required.
Earn 1.5 CPE credits in the field of Business Law.
CPE can only be earned by attending the live session. CPE is not available by watching the recording.
Who should attend?
- Anyone who negotiates or reviews construction contracts
- Business Owners
- Emerging Leaders
- Professional Advisors
- Ryan Hiss, Attorney, Partner, Laurie & Brennan, LLP
- Krista Kapp, Attorney, Laurie & Brennan, LLP